Shower Curtain Chronicles: Gay Marriage Threatens Nothing

Shower Curtain Chronicles

Latex painted shower curtains make great, cheap, waterproof banners to display at demonstrations, over freeways or anyplace you want to take it to the anti-gay, anti-Constitution fascists. This blog will feature banners I've made over the years, commentary on the outrages du jour, general observations and accounts of the latest actions by our blog troop as we wield the bathroom accessory cum political billboard.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Gay Marriage Threatens Nothing


We were standing outside the Minnesota Senate chambers on March 27, 2006, protesting the introduction of an anti-gay marriage constitutional amendent. I remember this demonstration well because there were just two of us surrounded by 53 homo-hating fascists with their moronic signs. Still, even though we were so grossly outnumbered by proponents, we got this prominent shot in the newspaper. That's Bob Halfhill on the left, me on the right. The banner is slightly obscured by the cordon leading to the stairs.
When we first got there, a few of our opponents had already assembled and we found a place to stand with the banner in this rather confined space. So since we were standing there, cheek by jowel with our detractors we wanted to be as pleasant as we could be. After all, they're just people, like us. I smiled and said good morning to a woman who was standing in front of us at the time and she returned the greeting. Then she turned to me and stated that she was there (with her anti-gay sign) because she detested sin. I said, "well you must be without sin then." Not that I believe in sin, I don't, but this was her game so I played. She said, "oh no, we're all sinners." So, I said, "then why aren't you taking care of your own sins instead of coming down here pointing at other people?" That was the end of our conversation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home