Shower Curtain Chronicles: LET ME MARRY MY PARTNER OF 16 YEARS

Shower Curtain Chronicles

Latex painted shower curtains make great, cheap, waterproof banners to display at demonstrations, over freeways or anyplace you want to take it to the anti-gay, anti-Constitution fascists. This blog will feature banners I've made over the years, commentary on the outrages du jour, general observations and accounts of the latest actions by our blog troop as we wield the bathroom accessory cum political billboard.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

LET ME MARRY MY PARTNER OF 16 YEARS

That's the new shower curtain that will debut today at the Capitol. I'll try to have a picture later if I can convince some kind passerby to shoot it. This is the new one I said I would have up on Monday but the underachiever in me was in control over the weekend.

It takes hours to make a shower curtain banner. The curtain has to be attached to a rod and hung to stretch out the folds as much as possible so it isn't such a pain to paint on. Then it has to be marked up so the lettering will be uniform. The painting, which is done freehand, takes the longest. I like to use a flat latex paint because anything glossier tends to stick after the banner's been rolled up for a while. I give the paint at least an hour to dry before I trim the excess material off the bottom of the curtain and fold up a short hem that nearly meets the bottom of the lettering, secured with glue or packing tape. Lately, I prefer the tape because it's faster than waiting for glue to dry and really holds just about as well. The hem at the bottom should be big enough to slip a rod through if it's going to be used outside. There's no need for a rod indoors and the Capitol police wouldn't allow it anyway. Nothing long and hard at the Capitol! Also for outdoor use, grommets should be placed in the hem at either end to accommodate attachments for hooking onto a fence or to attach a slack rope to stand on if you're holding the banner and it's windy.

In order for one person to be able to hold the banner so it's fully extended, I tape a short (19"), thin (within regulation) dowel to the back, top of the banner at both ends. I cover them with pieces of vinyl from the curtain's leftovers, otherwise it looks tacky. If it's outside, a full length rod works fine, too (and is far more pleasurable).

I'm at the Dunn Bros. on University on my way to the Capitol. Later.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home