Shower Curtain Chronicles: Monday Afternoon House Protest

Shower Curtain Chronicles

Latex painted shower curtains make great, cheap, waterproof banners to display at demonstrations, over freeways or anyplace you want to take it to the anti-gay, anti-Constitution fascists. This blog will feature banners I've made over the years, commentary on the outrages du jour, general observations and accounts of the latest actions by our blog troop as we wield the bathroom accessory cum political billboard.

Monday, April 20, 2009

Monday Afternoon House Protest

I got there a little late and my usual spot was taken by disability funding advocates which turned out to be good because my being in a new location resulted in more people noticing the new banner (left). Rep. Karen Clark, the longest serving openly lesbian lawmaker in the country, was tickled by the message and thanked me for bringing it. A lobbyist and former legislator sidled up and told me he thought the message should embarrass Minnesota legislators, but he doubted they would get it. Karen got it. I got a similar reaction to the message from former senator, Roger Moe last week. He was really amused by it. He also said he thought that in ten years there would be marriage equality across the country. I told him, "I hope you're right."
There were a couple of camera crews on hand at the House today, KSTP and WCCO, plus radio reporters from other stations. They were seeking the House Tax Committee chair. I suspect they were preparing to pounce on the DFL for proposing to add a new 4th tax bracket that would include married couples making upwards of $300,000 per year. Heaven forbid rich people should be fairly taxed.
It was a good day at the Capitol with many positive experiences...glad I went.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Excellent way to use the Minnesota/Iowa rivalry to shed some embarrassment on the Minnesota Legislators. You continue to amaze with your creativity and tenacity. Thank you.

    Paul Konrardy
    Faces InEquality

     
  • At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I firmly believe that there IS equality among gays and lesbians already in the strength of their passion and numbers and personal relationships. Waiting on these slow-moving turtles in state and federal government...that is the problem. You already have and have always had my blessing. Love is love. I'm not sure why that's even a question up for debate. If you base anything including love on religious beliefs or traditions, especially in a land built on freedom and liberty and the pursuit of happiness, you will not win against those beautiful Americans who now inhabit and remember the dreams of our forefathers.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home