Shower Curtain Chronicles: At The Senate This Morning

Shower Curtain Chronicles

Latex painted shower curtains make great, cheap, waterproof banners to display at demonstrations, over freeways or anyplace you want to take it to the anti-gay, anti-Constitution fascists. This blog will feature banners I've made over the years, commentary on the outrages du jour, general observations and accounts of the latest actions by our blog troop as we wield the bathroom accessory cum political billboard.

Monday, February 19, 2007

At The Senate This Morning

Here is Matt displaying the latest minicurtain at the Senate today. It was great having Matt there to share in the fun and observe the goings on. He had an interesting conversation with a lobbyist and later, a well-known senator. I hope Matt comes back soon.
The clergyman who would be leading the unconstitutional religious ritual at the beginning of the Senate floor session today was very nice. He came up to me with his wife and read the shower curtain I was holding ("GAY FAMILIES DESERVE AND DEMAND EQUALITY"), said he was in complete agreement and shook my hand. As he was walking down the treacherous Senate stairs, he called back to me and said, "listen to my prayer, there's something in it for you." Not knowing exactly what he meant, I called back, "how about a plug?" He indicated that a plug for my cause was what he meant. Later, he stopped by to show me his rainbow lapel pin before he went into the Senate chamber and reminded me that he was going to say something positive about marriage equality. Cool. Now if we can just get the senators to start talking about marriage equality. Unfortunately, I'm so used to scooting after the Senate doors close, I forgot to stay and listen.
Once again, a group of young people surrounded me to express support for marriage equality. There were five young men and a young woman that, I'm guessing, were college age. They all shook my hand and encouraged a continued effort. One lamented the lack of civic involvement by his generation, but I told him that support for marriage equality is the strongest among his age demographic, which is a hopeful thing. I thanked them for stopping. They were great.
Still have the House to do at 5:30. Join Duane and me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home