Shower Curtain Chronicles: Yesterday At The Capitol

Shower Curtain Chronicles

Latex painted shower curtains make great, cheap, waterproof banners to display at demonstrations, over freeways or anyplace you want to take it to the anti-gay, anti-Constitution fascists. This blog will feature banners I've made over the years, commentary on the outrages du jour, general observations and accounts of the latest actions by our blog troop as we wield the bathroom accessory cum political billboard.

Friday, February 16, 2007

Yesterday At The Capitol

I had a chance to thank Rep. Jim Davnie for his work on the Domestic Partner Benefits bill he'll be introducing. He was talking to a lobbyist outside the House entrance when he turned to go in. I was able to stop him, shake his hand and thank him before he rushed to make the door. The encounter seemed to take him by surprise. I'm usually standing there holding my sign, staring out into space like the Sphinx. He probably wasn't expecting me to move. Anyway, he was very pleased and returned the gesture saying that my being there is important. Nice man.

There were a lot of school groups going through the Capitol. As I was in front of the Senate holding the "MAKE MY FAMILY LEGAL" sign, a high school group went by reading my sign as they passed. One young man with piercings who was in the middle of the group, smiled at me broadly and said, "excellent."

Later, a group of housing advocates was making their way through the halls. In the front of the line was a stout, older woman with short grey hair who's attention was carefully focused on the floor in front of her as she approached me, making sure she didn't miss the first step at the top of the treacherous Senate stairs. She passed closely in front of the sign and curtly growled, "good work." I loved that.

There was a docent leading an adult group of what I perceived as possibly New Americans. They were coming up the Senate stairs as the docent was loudly describing the Capitol's architecture when I made eye contact with him and we nodded greetings to each other. When he reached the top of the stairs across from where I was standing, he waved the groups attention toward me and proceeded to explain that this is something you can do as a citizen...bring issues to the attention of lawmakers and persuade them of the public's view. I turned to the group and moved my sign back and forth like an animatronic figure at Disneyland. Seemed appropriate.
It was a good day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home