Shower Curtain Chronicles: At The Capitol Today

Shower Curtain Chronicles

Latex painted shower curtains make great, cheap, waterproof banners to display at demonstrations, over freeways or anyplace you want to take it to the anti-gay, anti-Constitution fascists. This blog will feature banners I've made over the years, commentary on the outrages du jour, general observations and accounts of the latest actions by our blog troop as we wield the bathroom accessory cum political billboard.

Thursday, February 08, 2007

At The Capitol Today

It was fun. While I was in front of the Senate, this group of five high school kids on a field trip to the Capitol abandoned their class and surrounded me, asking me what my position was on the content of my sign. They were very friendly and respectful. I explained the basics of the issue that same-sex couples should have the same access to marriage as different-sex couples. They didn't understand the difference between a church wedding and legal marriage so I was able to explain that someone could have a church wedding but if the state didn't issue them a marriage license, they wouldn't be legally married and that all gay people want is the marriage license. Churches can do whatever they want. There was an "aha" moment. There were four girls and one boy and they were all supportive. One asked if I would be speaking "in there," pointing to the Senate chamber. I laughed and said, "I wish."
All of them shook my hand when they left, said "it was nice to meet you" and some thanked me and wished me good luck. I was so proud to be there with these nice kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home