Shower Curtain Chronicles: Valentines Day Capitol Blogging

Shower Curtain Chronicles

Latex painted shower curtains make great, cheap, waterproof banners to display at demonstrations, over freeways or anyplace you want to take it to the anti-gay, anti-Constitution fascists. This blog will feature banners I've made over the years, commentary on the outrages du jour, general observations and accounts of the latest actions by our blog troop as we wield the bathroom accessory cum political billboard.

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Valentines Day Capitol Blogging

The area in front of the House chambers was a bit crowded when I set up about ten minutes to ten right next to former House Speaker turned lobbyist, Robert Vanasek. There was an arts group lobbying at the Capitol and many of them expressed approval of my cause as they walked by. The doors to the chamber closed so I picked up and moved over to the Senate side.

Senator Don Betzold was the first person up the stairs who greeted me and asked how I was doing. I said, "Good morning" and "Still waiting for my civil rights," to which he responded,"yup," while looking straight ahead marching up the stairs, briefcase in hand. He's certainly a strong supporter and I wasn't harrassing him but wanted to remind him and others why I'm still there. It was uncomfortable.

Next, the openly Republican, Gay Senator, Paul Koering came smiling up the stairs. He shook my hand and asked how I was. I said, "I'm still a second class citizen and so are you." We laughed and then his phone rang so that was that. Many other senators passed by and welcomed me back.

Later as I had coffee at a St. Paul Caribou, a young man came up to my table and said he liked my "MARRIAGE EQUALITY" sticker and that it was very appropriate for Valentines Day. I had plenty of extras in my pocket so I asked if he would like one. He as very happy get it and said he would look for a permanent place to stick it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home