Shower Curtain Chronicles: Opening Day At The Capitol

Shower Curtain Chronicles

Latex painted shower curtains make great, cheap, waterproof banners to display at demonstrations, over freeways or anyplace you want to take it to the anti-gay, anti-Constitution fascists. This blog will feature banners I've made over the years, commentary on the outrages du jour, general observations and accounts of the latest actions by our blog troop as we wield the bathroom accessory cum political billboard.

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Opening Day At The Capitol

David Strand and I arrived at the Capitol about an hour before the legislature convened. When we entered the hall in front of the House chamber, the first person we saw was Speaker Keliher whom I smiled and nodded to. She was speaking to a woman who glared at me as I put my bag down, pulled out a shower curtain and unfurled about five feet away from them. It felt good to be back.

There was a camera crew from Albert Lee set up in the middle of the hallway. David was chatting with them and then came over and asked if I would do and interview with them, whispering "don't forget to plug the website." They asked the basic questions of what I was doing there and how long I'd been doing it. And, I did plug the website.

We picked up three more co-sponsors during the time in front of the House, sporting the bill jackets in my back pocket, ready to fold the shower curtain and whip them out when a prospect came by. Reps. Carolyn Laine, Tina Liebling and Linda Slocum became co-sponsors of the Marriage and Family Protection Act today. Thank you!

Yesterday, while attending the single payer healthcare rally in the rotunda, David picked up a co-sponsor that was a surprise to me because I didn't really know him at all. Rep. David Bly of Northfield signed on. Thank you!

About ten minutes before the hour, I left David at the House and went over to the Senate to display until the doors closed. The shower curtain said, "I WANT MY CIVIL MARRIAGE RIGHTS."

There was no anti-gay protest whatsoever though I thought there might be one. I did see Ruth Ann once but she was just passing through.

We now have 17 lawmakers signed on in the House. That's 3 more than last year and it's only opening day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home