Shower Curtain Chronicles: Yesterday's Capitol Protest

Shower Curtain Chronicles

Latex painted shower curtains make great, cheap, waterproof banners to display at demonstrations, over freeways or anyplace you want to take it to the anti-gay, anti-Constitution fascists. This blog will feature banners I've made over the years, commentary on the outrages du jour, general observations and accounts of the latest actions by our blog troop as we wield the bathroom accessory cum political billboard.

Friday, March 06, 2009

Yesterday's Capitol Protest

There were a lot of people at the Capitol yesterday. A large group from Gustavus Adolphus and red-shirted firefighters were crowded into the hall outside the House chamber. I'm not sure if these young women were Gusties or not, but they were very supportive of marriage equality and wanted their picture taken. They all accepted "Marriage Equality Minnesota" stickers and wore them when they went to sit in the gallery.

This picture was taken by a little girl who was there with her father. When she tried to frame the picture, her father, who was talking with someone else, was in her shot, so she literally kicked him in the ass until he moved. It was kind of shocking but mostly hysterical.

On the Senate side, I was opposed by Girard, the anti-gay "ex"gay, I've known and argued with for years. I don't argue with him anymore now, it's pointless and unpleasant. I try to keep the subject off marriage. We went over to the Senate side together and chatted about his recent fame as the Minnesota boy portrayed by an actor in the film, "Milk." He's been getting many radio and television speaking spots. Anyway, when we got there he parked his wheel chair across the hall from me and began telling people as they came up the stairs, "marriage between one man and one woman only." Most people either ignore him or sneer at him and turn to me and express their support for marriage equality. He is quite amazed and perturbed at the level of support for my message. : )

Mayor Rybak, came up the Senate stairs with an entourage and walked directly over to me, shook my hand and expressed emphatic support for the cause. Girard looked rather exasperated and said, "that's my mayor!" Yeah.

Senator Scott Dibble came out of the Senate chamber, gave me a hug and told me he had a marriage bill being introduced that day. I told him I thought the news was excellent and asked if this was the same bill Rep. Karen Clark is introducing in the House. He said it is. I believe this makes 4 marriage equality bills in play so far this session. Good! Something's gotta work!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home