Shower Curtain Chronicles: My DFL History

Shower Curtain Chronicles

Latex painted shower curtains make great, cheap, waterproof banners to display at demonstrations, over freeways or anyplace you want to take it to the anti-gay, anti-Constitution fascists. This blog will feature banners I've made over the years, commentary on the outrages du jour, general observations and accounts of the latest actions by our blog troop as we wield the bathroom accessory cum political billboard.

Saturday, February 20, 2010

My DFL History

I was born a DFLer and grew up in a union, DFL world where Hubert Humphrey was a god. In rural Duluth, Republicans were few and far between. As a kid, to meet one was like discovering a space alien. When I reached high school age and had to go to school downtown, I was able to skip the bus ride home and volunteer at Humphrey campaign headquarters after school, getting a ride home with my Dad when he was done with work. One of the enduring sadnesses of my young life was Humphrey's loss in '68. I still wonder what kind of forward-looking, culturally and scientifically advanced, working class utopia this country might be right now if he had won.

My older sister took me to my first caucus when I turned 18. At the next caucus I was proud to be elected precinct captain and held that position a number of times. In 1990, I founded and chaired the Northland DFL Lesbian/Gay Caucus and later became the Affirmative Action Director of my senate district. I went on to manage a city council campaign and a successful DFL legislative campaign that unseated a longtime Republican incumbent. I worked in the office of DFL Lieutenant Governor, Marlene Johnson as part of her transition team and was a contender for a staff position with the newly-elected Senator,Paul Wellstone. In 1992, I set up and ran an all-volunteer campaign office for Jerry Brown's Democratic presidential bid, taking advantage of free media and creative campaign events, winning in the City of Duluth. In 1994, I was a delegate to the DFL State Convention. Earlier that year I founded the International Workers' Day Committee to stage a worker rally in the Duluth Civic Center each May Day.

I have strong DFL ties and I believe in the economic and social justice principles of the party, more so, I dare say, than many DFL office holders. However, I am no longer a member of the DFL. After a long learning process, I came to believe that I could do more for DFL principles from outside the DFL or any other party. That's what I'm doing, now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home