Shower Curtain Chronicles: Happy Statehood Day!

Shower Curtain Chronicles

Latex painted shower curtains make great, cheap, waterproof banners to display at demonstrations, over freeways or anyplace you want to take it to the anti-gay, anti-Constitution fascists. This blog will feature banners I've made over the years, commentary on the outrages du jour, general observations and accounts of the latest actions by our blog troop as we wield the bathroom accessory cum political billboard.

Friday, May 11, 2007

Happy Statehood Day!

I'm guessing this is the date in history that Minnesota became a state, an anniversary I wouldn't have been aware of if gay-friendly DFL Rep. Dianne Loefler hadn't wished me a happy Statehood Day while I was blogging the Senate this morning. She also chirped that the chandelier was lit in the rotunda, and that this is the only day that it's turned on each year. Others later told me that it's actually two days a year but I was unable to find out what the other day was. Anyway, there it is. The Capitol electrician told me he just hopes nobody ever wants the damn thing lowered. It's not easy to get at.
As a part of the festivities, there was a couple dressed in period costumes greeting Reps as they entered the House chamber. Many of the Reps and Senators left their respective chambers to come out to the rotunda and actually view the lit chandelier with their own eyes. Oh my, just look at it all lit up and glowing like that...just like a chandelier.
There was a group of childcare advocates handing out purple ribbons to lawmakers today. They were UNION childcare workers proudly wearing their SEIU union buttons. Republicans accepted the ribbons but were not so eager to wear them. I'm told that SEIU, a union representing members of the service sector, is now the biggest union in the country. It's a sign of the times, I suppose, with the decline of manufacturing in this country. I'm glad they're organized. Members of the group expressed support for marriage equality.
As usual at this time of year, there were quite a number of school groups moving through the Capitol and one group of young boys were particularly giggly about the "SAME-SEX SAME RIGHTS" shower curtain I was sporting today. One little boy approached me cautiously, the rest of his group waiting several feet away consumed with nervous anticipation. He must have drawn the short straw. He looked at me, pointed at the sign and said, "What does this mean?" I said, "It means same-sex couples should have the same rights as everybody else." He thanked me and they all ran away giggling. Cute.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home