Shower Curtain Chronicles: "I'll Talk To Margaret"

Shower Curtain Chronicles

Latex painted shower curtains make great, cheap, waterproof banners to display at demonstrations, over freeways or anyplace you want to take it to the anti-gay, anti-Constitution fascists. This blog will feature banners I've made over the years, commentary on the outrages du jour, general observations and accounts of the latest actions by our blog troop as we wield the bathroom accessory cum political billboard.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

"I'll Talk To Margaret"

I started out in front of the House and didn't see many lawmakers before I had to switch to the Senate side to try to catch some lawmakers from both bodies. Both bodies were convening at 10:00 so I couldn't cover both completely. As it turned out, I wound up seeing most of the Representatives anyway coming up the Senate stairs on their way to the House. Two birds with one stone, eh.

Senate Majority Leader, Larry Pogemiller (above) stopped to apologize to me for the failure of the legislature to provide some equity for same-sex couples. I had the "SAME-SEX SAME RIGHTS" shower curtain. I wasn't sure exactly what he meant because I knew Domestic Partner Benefits for state workers was dead, but I wasn't aware of anything else, so I asked him if he'd heard anything from Pawlenty about his intentions with regard to the Hospital Visitation bill. I added that I thought it is a disgrace that a bill dealing with such basic humanity was even generating debate. He agreed. He asked me if the bill had cleared the House yet and I said no. Then, as he was leaving, he said, "I'll talk to Margaret," meaning Speaker of the House, Margaret Anderson Kelliher. It'd be nice to get something out of this session because it's surely going to be worse next session with elections coming up.

This morning I had a chance to thank my Senator, Ann Rest, for signing onto the Hospital Visitation bill. She smiled and said, "Well, I support you."

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home