Shower Curtain Chronicles: THIS PLACE Is About Man's Law

Shower Curtain Chronicles

Latex painted shower curtains make great, cheap, waterproof banners to display at demonstrations, over freeways or anyplace you want to take it to the anti-gay, anti-Constitution fascists. This blog will feature banners I've made over the years, commentary on the outrages du jour, general observations and accounts of the latest actions by our blog troop as we wield the bathroom accessory cum political billboard.

Thursday, May 24, 2007

THIS PLACE Is About Man's Law

I couldn't finish the session this week without one last asshole reminding me why I was there. This chubby, middle aged "gentleman" dressed in business casual, waddled up the Senate stairs and asked soooooooooooooooooooo innocently what my sign, "SAME-SEX SAME RIGHTS" meant. Alerted to impending bullshit, I straightened up and glared down at him from three stairs above, answering, "It means gay couples should have the right to marry." He said, "But you HAVE the right to marry. You can marry a woman just like me. You HAVE the same rights, you just want 'special' rights." I said, "First of all, EQUAL rights are not special rights, that's why they're called EQUAL rights. Next, I'm gay so it would be wrong for me to marry a woman. I want to marry my life partner who is a man." He said, "But you can't marry a man." I said, "I CAN marry a man in Massachusetts, or Canada, or Spain, or Belgium, or South Africa, or The Netherlands." He said, "Not according to 'god's' law." I said, "THIS PLACE (the Capitol) is about man's law, not 'god's' law (like there is such a thing), that's why I'm here as opposed to a church. I don't care who the churches choose to marry or not marry, but THE GOVERNMENT is a different story. All I want is a marriage license issued by the state, the same as anyone else who wants to get married."
At this point he looked as if a light had come on in his head but he shook it off and repeated, with less enthusiasm, the old broken record of "you want special rights," to which I replied, "Equal rights aren't special rights." He turned to waddled back down the stairs, secretly wishing his wife was a really hung, young man.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home