Shower Curtain Chronicles: Yesterday's Capitol Blogging

Shower Curtain Chronicles

Latex painted shower curtains make great, cheap, waterproof banners to display at demonstrations, over freeways or anyplace you want to take it to the anti-gay, anti-Constitution fascists. This blog will feature banners I've made over the years, commentary on the outrages du jour, general observations and accounts of the latest actions by our blog troop as we wield the bathroom accessory cum political billboard.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Yesterday's Capitol Blogging

Yesterday was the debut of the "GAY PARENTS NEED ACCESS TO MARRIAGE" shower curtain. It's interesting the way some people react after reading a message.
One suited young man walked by while I was in front of the House yesterday. He apparently didn't want anyone to witness his approval of my message as he turned slightly toward me and gave a solid thumbs up, held closely to his chest.
Then there was another man who told me he agreed with my message and then went on to say, "I'm just a lobbyist, like you." I said, "Thanks. I consider myself a protester." There were many other expressions of support.
I had a pretty long conversation with a Representative who stopped to chat. He wanted to tell me that as the session wears on there will be more frequent floor sessions, if I was planning on being there for every session. I think he was just giving me a heads up be aware of the schedule. He wondered if I was retired since I'm able to be there so frequently. Then I went into an unnecessarily long explanation of my circumstances. I also told him that as I get older, I worry more that someday I may find myself in the hospital and my husband won't be able to see me during our last moments. He seemed sympathetic.
There are a lot of Representatives that walk by and without saying anything, give very strong gestures of support. It would be very interesting to see just how far a flat out Marriage Equality bill would go. Some lawmakers have come up and voluntarily expressed an intention to vote for Marriage Equality if it should come to the floor. Of course, it might be strategically risky to try something that far reaching at this point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home