Shower Curtain Chronicles: The Guy Was A Ringer

Shower Curtain Chronicles

Latex painted shower curtains make great, cheap, waterproof banners to display at demonstrations, over freeways or anyplace you want to take it to the anti-gay, anti-Constitution fascists. This blog will feature banners I've made over the years, commentary on the outrages du jour, general observations and accounts of the latest actions by our blog troop as we wield the bathroom accessory cum political billboard.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The Guy Was A Ringer

Large group of people in the Rotunda today. They were advocating for special needs adults in group homes.
There were also a lot of school groups winding through the halls. One large high school group was passing by while I was in front of the House. It was a little uncomfortable because they seemed uneasy facing me and then suddenly a small group of girls in the middle of the throng began pumping their fists in the air saying, "Go..Yeah!" It was cute. The docents were using me as an exhibit again.
A middle aged man in a sport coat, who could best be described as a disingenuous asshole approached and asked if he could ask me some questions because he wanted to learn my position. Then he whined, "Can't you use another word besides marriage? Why do you have to use the word marriage?" I said, "Because that's the word the government uses, and to call it something else would MAKE IT something else and we want to be treated equally." And then he went on to say, "But why marriage...is it all about the money? Where's the love and commitment?" I should point out that this is now a common talking point of the opposition. They try to shame you by trying to make you sound shallow and greedy. Here's how I answered him: "Are you married?" He said, "I used to be." I said, "Did YOU get married for financial reasons or was it love and companionship?" He said, of course, "Love and companionship." I said, "That's why WE get married." YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE!!! The guy was a ringer.
One thing I must remember to bring up in the future when I inevitably face this bullshit again, is to say, "My husband and I traveled to a foreign country to get married, knowing full well that when we returned home our marriage would not be recognized and would be meaningful to us only as a souvenir of our love and commitment to one another. How about you?"
I have more stories from today...later.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home