Shower Curtain Chronicles: Lawmaking Set To Music

Shower Curtain Chronicles

Latex painted shower curtains make great, cheap, waterproof banners to display at demonstrations, over freeways or anyplace you want to take it to the anti-gay, anti-Constitution fascists. This blog will feature banners I've made over the years, commentary on the outrages du jour, general observations and accounts of the latest actions by our blog troop as we wield the bathroom accessory cum political billboard.

Monday, March 12, 2007

Lawmaking Set To Music

We had live music in the rotunda today. I don't know who the orchestra was but they rocked.

I experienced something of a breakthrough on the steps of the Senate today. A well-known Republican senator came up and explained that he had gotten a persuasive call from a constituent urging him to take a positive role in the marriage equality debate and that he was indeed rethinking his anti-marriage equality position. He invited me to speak with him in his office and I accepted but I didn't have a business card on me. He said he sees me everyday anyway so we'll just make arrangements the next time. I should have made arrangements right there on the spot I suppose, but I was rather flustered. Well, I'm a protester not a lobbyist, obviously.

The Welfare Rights folks were at the Capitol today tending to the several items they have on the line this week. I love it when they're at the Capitol. They're all supportive and fun to talk to, quite expert on the workings of the legislature and are willing to answer my many questions. Several of them wore my Marriage Equality stickers today, as well.

While in front of the House at noon, three young black women came up to talk about my sign. It was the "LET ME MARRY MY PARTNER OF 16 YEARS" shower curtain. Two of the women seemed supportive but the third was asking why we couldn't be married, but call it something else. I explained that "something else" wouldn't be equality. She said that marriage has always been defined as one woman and one man so it should stay that way. I explained that some things are a certain way for decades or centuries and accepted as normal even though they are unjust and wrong. I brought up the 1967, Loving v Virginia, Supreme Court case that overturned laws preventing different race couples from marrying. Those laws were in effect for many decades. Her response was, "There was a law that white people could only marry other white people?" "Yes," I told her, as she fell silent with a scowl. Her two friends asked if they could have a Marriage Equality sticker, which I happily gave. I thanked them all for stopping and talking, then they moved on. I hope she comes around.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home