Shower Curtain Chronicles: "What does the sign say?"

Shower Curtain Chronicles

Latex painted shower curtains make great, cheap, waterproof banners to display at demonstrations, over freeways or anyplace you want to take it to the anti-gay, anti-Constitution fascists. This blog will feature banners I've made over the years, commentary on the outrages du jour, general observations and accounts of the latest actions by our blog troop as we wield the bathroom accessory cum political billboard.

Thursday, April 26, 2007

"What does the sign say?"

On Wednesday, shortly after I got set up in front of the Senate the House chaplain came smiling up the stairs toward me while unfolding a piece of paper. From previous experience I sensed this was a prayer he'd written that included something of interest to me...and I was right. He told me that he was substituting for the Senate chaplain and pointed out that his prayer included a reference to the children, spouses and "partners" of (I think) Senators. I said to him, "You're getting bolder. I like it." He seemed excited as he left to go into the chamber. I watched him deliver his invocation on the television set up near the Senate entrance. Later, when I was in front of the House, he came up to me all smiley like a kid that had just pulled off a prank. I told him I saw his prayer on television. He said he didn't think "some of them" would like his inclusion of partners very much. I told him I didn't think anybody would bother him.
There was a high school group from the Marshall area that hustled up the Senate stairs as one tall, kind of burly girl approached and shook my hand, then hugged me, thanking me for being there. She was great.
Many groups of Head Start kids were at the Capitol as well. The little peanuts were everywhere. One group, each little one clinging to the hand of their adult guides, laboriously climbed the Senate stairs. As the last one passed, he said to the man whose hand he was holding, "What does the sign say?" (It was "Gay Marriage Is Good Marriage...") The man said, "Do you really want me to tell ya? I'll tell ya." We both laughed as they turned the corner. I don't know if he told him or not.
While I was in front of the House, a little boy holding the hand of an older woman passed by, looking up at the huge, nude paintings on the walls of the rotunda. He jerked the woman's hand and exclaimed, "Hey, wait Gramma!" Transfixed on the paintings, he dragged her into the rotunda as she smiled rather sheepishly.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home