Shower Curtain Chronicles: Rally Day

Shower Curtain Chronicles

Latex painted shower curtains make great, cheap, waterproof banners to display at demonstrations, over freeways or anyplace you want to take it to the anti-gay, anti-Constitution fascists. This blog will feature banners I've made over the years, commentary on the outrages du jour, general observations and accounts of the latest actions by our blog troop as we wield the bathroom accessory cum political billboard.

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Rally Day

It was a normal protest day for me except on the way up the steps to the Capitol, I ran into Monica Meyer, Outfront MN's legislative director. We had a chat about my bill and Outfront's new plan to push for Marriage Equality. She outlined the numerous components Outfront's campaign would involve. I told her my bill will be introduced this session, that I think it will help any effort Outfront undertakes in this area and that I want Outfront to succeed.

When I got inside, the hall in front of the House was full of queers waiting for their representatives to come out of the chamber to meet with their groups. The "GAY MARRIAGE IN MINNESOTA IN 2008" shower curtain was well received. There were also Outfront staff (or volunteers) stickering lawmakers as they passed. Even some Republicans accepted and wore the stickers.

I was happy to run into my old friend, Pete Golden at the rally. He came down from Duluth on a chartered bus. There were about as many people at the rally as there were last year. We listened and applauded the speakers. Senator Marty was not asked to speak this year...no surprise there I guess. He might have mentioned the gay marriage bill he's introducing.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like this quote from OutFront's Lobby day. It really sums up the inaction of the organization.

    OutFront Minnesota Public Policy Director Monica Meyer. “This is really our chance to think and hope and dream of a better state. This is also our chance as GLBT people and allies to really think about what we want our movement to look like in the years to come.”

     

Post a Comment

<< Home