Shower Curtain Chronicles: You Should Put The Word "Gay" In There

Shower Curtain Chronicles

Latex painted shower curtains make great, cheap, waterproof banners to display at demonstrations, over freeways or anyplace you want to take it to the anti-gay, anti-Constitution fascists. This blog will feature banners I've made over the years, commentary on the outrages du jour, general observations and accounts of the latest actions by our blog troop as we wield the bathroom accessory cum political billboard.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

You Should Put The Word "Gay" In There

Interesting day at the House. First, the House chaplain, who has been very friendly to me, came up and said he had been thinking about me and had included me in his invocation for today's House session. He moved beside me so I could read the folded piece of paper that opened to reveal two short typewritten paragraphs with some nice-sounding sentiments about inclusion. There was nothing about marriage equality. I scanned it and said (in jest), "I don't see my name anywhere." He then pointed to the language about inclusion and I said, "Oh yeah, there is sort of a vague reference to equality." Then I said, "You should put the word "gay" in there, that'll get their attention." He looked at me rather astoundedly and went into a lengthy explanation as to why he couldn't do that, how it would just upset those that are against us and cause supporters to recoil. I quoted Frederick Douglass - "If there is no struggle, there is no progress."
In a previous post, I reported that the Senate chaplain had told me he was including me, meaning marriage equality, in his invocation...same deal...he didn't. They think they can do something about marriage equality without daring to talk about it. They can't. I'm done toe dancing with these daily expressions of contempt for the Constitution. If they can't say gay, I don't want to hear about it.
I had a lengthy conversation with an electrician who was there for an IBEW (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers) day on the hill. He was very thoughtful and respectful but it was the same old "Do you have to use the word MARRIAGE?" routine. You know the drill.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home